Having recently had to compile a list of useful learning resources for a development team migrating to git, I thought I would share them here.
Git is a very powerful and versatile distributed source control system but its not the easiest for a newbie to get their head around. The below links are ordered from tutorials based on giving an overview of git through to more advanced topics.
- What is Git – a nice overview article by Atlassian
- Learn Enough Git to Be Dangerous tutorial by Michael Hartl
- Git the Simple Guide – An excellent simple, straight to the point guide to git by Roger Dudler. (My favourite guide)
- Git Tutorial – Another tutorial
- Git Cheat Sheet – cheat sheet for git and github commands
- The official git site documentation and tutorials
- Pro GIT ebook – an excellent definitive guide to git in a free ebook format
GitHub External Training Links:
If you or your team also need to learn GitHub then here are some good training links.
- A great hello world example and introduction to GitHub
- Git Started With GitHub – free course from udemy
- Training videos on YouTube
Also its worth remembering that Microsoft offer FREE private git repository hosting via the Visual Studio Team Services if you don’t want to host all your projects publicly.