I recently upgraded a SonarQube server installation from v5.6.2 to v6, and unfortunately hit a few issues along the way which I thought I’d share here in case others experiences the same issues. All were resolved in the end and if you are yet to be running SonarQube to analyse your software assets please don’t be put off my these small issues. SonarQube is an outstanding tool to have in your Quality Control armoury and it is really incredibly easy to set and run. In fact you can download it and run it straightaway in under two minutes without installing anything (check out this link Get Started in Two Minutes to learn how).
Anyway the first problem I hit with the upgrade was an error message in the log when the service was trying to connect to the database (in my instance an MS SQL Server):
Unsupported JDBC driver provider: jtds
Apparently support for jtds was changed to a bundled version by SonarQube at some point and so it needs to be removed from the connection string:
Original connection string:
New connection string:
This change made I still could not connect to the database but this time due to different error, which was:
Can not connect to database. Please check connectivity and settings. The TCP/IP connection to the host ServerName1, port 1433 has failed. Error: “Connection refused: connect. Verify the connection properties. Make sure that an instance of SQL Server is running on the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port. Make sure that TCP connections to the port are not blocked by a firewall.”
After verifying the database was indeed up, running, not blocked by a firewall and indeed open on the specified port I found that I had to turn off dynamic ports on my Sonar DB server. To do this open the SQL Server Configuration Manager application, under SQL Server Network Configuration – Protocols for Sonar, right click TCIP/IP and choose properties. Under IP Addresses ensure that TCP Port is 1433 for all entries (including IPAll) AND ensure that TCP Dynamic Ports is blank. My TCP Dynamic Ports value was “0” which actually enables dynamic ports! After this change DB connectivity was successful.
At this point the auto-upgrade step failed and after integrating the logs I found this problem:
Cannot resolve the collation conflict between “Latin1_General_CI_AS” and “Latin1_General_CS_AS” in the equal to operation.
After some googling I hit this very useful Stack Overflow post where the problem is explained. I choose to manually update the database collation (option 3). After running the suggested query I was able to work out the indexes that needed to be dropped and recreated to enable the collation to be updated.
After this I deleted the data out of the SonarQube temp folder (ensuring that the Sonar Service had been stopped) and restarted the service and this triggered the upgrade process again which this time completed successfully.